This morning was spent pushing my dead car out of the driveway where it had blocked in my husband's vehicle which was running. Once we had his car out the garage we realize that there was no way to get my car out of the middle of the ally. With all the snow on the driveway there was a significant hill my car needed to be pushed up to get it into the driveway. At this point we are outside in the freezing cold, blocking the ally with my dead car when husband decided he should 'push' my car with his. A totally ridiculous idea which totally worked. We put a patio chair cushion between the two vehicles and he accelerated while I navigated the dead car. It worked like a charm and I am sure we looked hilarious.There are many kinds of winter. There is the cozy kind, there is the sloppy kind and then there is the kind of winter that causes real pain. We are now into the third kind of winter here at the north pole. This is the cold that actually hurts - and not after a few minutes; exposed flesh hurts instantly. We have invested in some very expense, very large, down-filled, winter parkas which have served us well for a few years. We assume will will be wearing these same parkas for the next 20 years.
I actually like the cold and have a fairly decent system for dealing with it. I have my 0 to -15 jacket, my -15 to -25 coat, and my -25 to -40 parka. It only becomes problematic when I don't listen to the forecast and wear the wrong one. This weekend is just barely in the -25 to -40 range, in fact as I type it is exactly -39 degrees (with wind). And for people who don't live at the northpole it may seem that the 'with windchill' caveat is mitigating - let me tell you, it is not. A '-39 with wind chill' feels much colder then a -35 without. If you doubt me you are more then welcome to visit and experience it for yourself.
sounds awful. really truly awful. we had -15 F last week and i thought i was going to die. i'm of the " i enjoy fluffy snow but only moderately cool temperatures" variety.
ReplyDeleteReminds me that when I lived in Edmonton I always wondered why on earth anyone even lives in Edmonton at all.
ReplyDeleteyou're crazy.
ReplyDeletehow is it that you only sport a jacket when it's 0 to -15?! it's currently 2 degrees celsius here in provo, as i type i'm wearing my down puffy coat, a scarf, and a wool sweater over two shirts... and i'm inside the library... you're a brave soul tiffany. and i think i'm cold-blooded.
yikes! i cannot even imagine it being that cold. i think the coldest it's been here is -18 (with wind) on thursday. it's much warmer now, the snow just might start melting.
ReplyDeleteHahahahaha!! I love that story. Chase loves it too. Brilliant. I wish you took pictures, I would have liked to see that. I think I'm going to put some pillows in my trunk, in case I ever need a push like that.
ReplyDeleteI'm very proud of you that you live and survive up in the north. Way to go!! A lot of us couldn't do it.
ps: that's a really pretty picture.
Aw, memories...
ReplyDeleteWhen i lived up there, you and your sibs were being bundled up with only eyes showing every time we went anywhere in the winter. I remember longing to live in CA. You haven't really lived at the North Pole until you have taken 4 or 5 kids and babies with you everywhere you go in such temperatures. I am amused when people here complain about the harsh Utah weather...they seriously have no idea!