Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Perfect 'Holiday'

Earlier this month J and I traveled to Banff for a TV conference (and our only holiday of the summer). We stayed at nice little hotel with lots of pillows and wireless internet. We spent our days attending sessions and our evenings in the hot tub and then on our laptops. It was wonderful. Luckily, the weather in Banff was cold and rainy so it was beautiful and we didn't mind staying inside the Banff Springs Hotel.

Oh, did I mention that I met Ricky Gervais? No? Well I did. He was... small. And very very funny. It was odd because he seemed somewhat uncomfortable with everything. You don't think that TV or movie stars would be uncomfortable with attention, but he seemed to not be totally sure about what he should be doing. William Shatner was also there (he and I are not friends) and the two of them had the most hilariously uncomfortable first conversation about the weather. It was a wonderful time and the conference itself was great. I got to interview a head at BBC TV and CBC TV and meet plenty of other interesting people involved in the TV business. Check out my other blog for the audio. Some people like music festivals - I like media conferences.
My husband, the photographer, did take photos of Ricky and me together (so I do have proof) - but of course he can't find them. Feel free to harass him about it.
This is J and I trying to take a picture to make it look like we were outside, from inside our hotel room - it didn't quite work.

4 comments:

  1. Haha! I love everything about this post. I love the laptops with all the pillows... it looks so inviting. And I love the "outdoor" picture, and I love that you nerds were totally okay with just sitting in bed on your laptops (not sitting on you laptops... just using them, in bed) instead of going outside, and that you said "luckily" the weather was rainy. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE that you met Ricky Gervais. I'm on my way over to Jimmy's facebook wall to harass him about the pictures. Oh, and you look really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well bethany said it all for me (except the part about ricky gervais). to be honest, i had to google him cause i don't even know who he is.
    but yes, you look beautiful as always. and if you just cropped that one picture you would totally look like you were outdoors. i LOVE the laptop picture. it does look inviting. i wish i had have been there with you (i think you could have fit one more laptop on the bed, right?)
    hopefully we'll be seeing you real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved your post and the whole idea of a vacation.
    i am ready for one. we are up in the air on plans but with all going well, we should know soon what we are going to be doing for the whole month of July...Can't wait to see you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. why aren't you and william friends? i don't like him, so i'm glad you aren't friends.
    sounds like an awesome trip. and come on jimmy!! you can't lose important photo's like that.

    ReplyDelete