Sunday, November 7, 2010

NYC is a very busy place... who knew?

I have found it almost impossible to blog here since I began school this fall. School is busy, but more importantly the rest of my life is extremely busy. Lots of people like to visit NYC and we love to see everyone, but it means that we are out and about (said with a Canadian accent) a lot.

We love our apartment, our neighbourhood, the city and my school. So far the only things we don't like are taking the train on the weekends and dogs. The trains never work on the weekends and they make life miserable - of course once you know that they don't work, you don't even bother to try to take them. Dogs on the other hand, there is nothing you can do about that. I don't know why everyone else seems fine with it, but I cannot get over the fact that everywhere you go there are the smelly reminders of the hundreds of the hundreds of thousands, possibly millions, of dogs who run this city. It is gross and that is all there is to it. 'nuff said on that.

It is hard to pinpoint exactly what is so amazing about living in the city because there is so much that is so interesting, but I think that is what makes it great - there is so much of everything. I should make it clear that the whole food situation is a particular highpoint. We are finally getting back in to cooking (sometimes) but for the first month we eat everything in the city. It was and is divine.

Fun things so far:

-Halloween in the city

-Tara coming to visit

-Seeing Amy

-Lots of film screenings

-New school friends

-Fun classes

-Netflix

-Learning to use the Metro system

-Vimeo Conference

-Visiting DC for the Stewart Rally

-Meeting Katie Couric

-Polaroid workshop

-Ice cream truck

-Walking around the city with a football helmet umbrella

-DUMBO and the arts festival

-Brooklyn Book Fest

-Our local street fair

-Obama et al. at the UN near us

-Visiting the Met

-NYPD

-Randomly stumbling upon outdoor art instillations (that are actually good)

-Watching Manhattan outside in Central Park

-Setting up the apartment

-Brittany having a baby

3 comments: